07 August 2006

I'm Not An Idealist

My blogging brothers and sisters have been painting a dismal picture, and I am not prepared to disagree. Ashes is streaming consciousness about stiffening, and this is an appropriate gestalt to put one's finger on. There is a stiffening to art and artists and the whole enterprise--a fear that I can see and feel and smell. And yes, there are reasons for this fear, this stiffening, that are worth picking over I guess.

There is much bizness and much ego and I got mine or, worse--I didn't get mine and want yours... and very little freedom or movement. And all this at a time when art could be much more of a salve or a safe haven.

I'm not an idealist, but I don't have to be. Hasn't anyone else here clung to the side of a mountain (literally or figuratively), scared out of your mind, in pain, confused about what to do next but knowing that the only thing to do is move upward? I mean, down isn't an option, and more lateral movement is just prolonging the inevitable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashes77 said...

jeex, i hope i didn't paint too dismal a picture. Look at it this way, even if the whole sh*t-house does go up in flames, Queens is still going to be the rough-at-the-edges Toronto of whatever's left. And that's not bad. A vitally important city for people in Africa, EurAsia and S.America. Just going in deeper should be its own reward, i think that is the difference between what we're doing and still making "art" for that irrelevant borough.

07 August, 2006 09:25  
Blogger fisher6000 said...

Just going in deeper should be its own reward

Yes, and getting to that involves looking at why that's not apparent. I'm not put out by your negative capacity, I agree with you.

All I'm saying is that rainy days are good days for the umbrella salesperson. All I'm saying is that there's always an opportunity. All I'm saying is that it's not just not bad... badness is a portend of good.

07 August, 2006 10:31  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Hell o : )

07 August, 2006 18:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home