12 December 2007

Trust

This is not touchy-feely. I am being serious.

The converse of risk is trust. I love the physical sensation of taking a risk, but I hate that sensation of trust that necessarily accompanies each risk. I am not a trusting person.

An example: my husband is an excellent driver who has never been in an accident. And every single time he drives, my knuckles are white and the imaginary brake pedal is going crazy.

And yet the best things that have ever happened to me happened only because I figured out how to stop doing that kind of reacting and trust them.

This is what I mean.

I don't think I am going to look at risk from the yang side anymore. It plays into my weaknesses. I'm going to think about trust for a week and see what happens.

You trust? Is it harder than risk for you, too? What is the one thing you should trust but can't?

6 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

-catching the ball and-

I should probably trust that other people do not really have power over me, or rather do not have real power over me. That may be helpful.

-tossing the ball to-

12 December, 2007 18:34  
Blogger Pretty Lady said...

That I'm not wasting my time.

12 December, 2007 23:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oof, tricky change up Deborah. I trust the process that risk will reveal. I trust myself to improvise. I don't trust others (at all), but I should - usually good stuff happens.

13 December, 2007 00:39  
Blogger highlowbetween said...

I think Carla hits it - trusting that others do not have real power over oneself is a great and difficult insight to handle.

13 December, 2007 16:43  
Blogger fisher6000 said...

Sorry, this post kinda freaked me out.

1. Agreeing with Carla and HL. Yes.
2. Agreeing again with PL. I do this one all the time.

Adding:

I should trust that trust, as an act in itself, yields good things that are worth it, and that not trusting simply doesn't work. In general.

Trust is a state in which I am open, I catch things, I stick around, I stay at the party and talk about the right things and see what my art is doing and all that.

I am such a dope! I fall so easily into fidgeting and walking around and going and getting coffee and always having to be somewhere and looking at the end when I am really just at the beginning. Nothing is happening when I am always fidgeting and leaving!

Normal, I guess...

15 December, 2007 22:14  
Blogger fisher6000 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

15 December, 2007 22:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home