08 October 2007

Fuck It: Call This A Manifesto

The world is very difficult to look at right now, much less envision changing. Your baby boomer parents may have had it all figured out--how to say No to war and stuff daisies in the barrels of guns and have sex and do drugs and rock the long hair--but we can all admit that this is not a reliable strategy going forward.

Dissent works when you have the power to do so, and the first thing I have to admit is my powerlessness. If Diebold delivers elections, then I am powerless. If GW Bush calls war protesters "focus groups," then I am powerless. If it's all about huge sums of money, then I am powerless. If we are talking about the polar ice cap melting or breaking the entire Middle East, then I am powerless.

I am tiny and insignificant, but I can continue to look and imagine. I can continue to ask questions. I can continue to find meaning in the destruction that surrounds me, and I can continue to see that I am not the only one in this existential predicament.

I have nothing to lose because I am not important.

I face out, not in.

I look for what we share and not what divides us.

I believe that destruction is the beginning of the story and not the end.

The scarier it gets, the more hopeful I get.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone. I am with you.
Thanks, as long as we can believe.

09 October, 2007 17:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do I sign?

14 October, 2007 09:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home