17 March 2007

Speaking of Structural...

I haven't posted in awhile, and it's not because I despair.

I bought a house, and its structure is... interesting and troubled, and deeply buried beneath a lot of layers of flimsy cosmetic coverups. I do continue to think about Zizek, Chelsea, democracy and Didion. It's just that lately I do this thinking while I am jabbing screwdrivers into joists, figuring out what to replace and what to repocket, and removing layer upon layer of lazy landlord bullshit. The inside of my house is going to be so much bigger once I have removed all the walls that seem to have been erected for the sole purpose of hiding something. I am going to pay a carting guy a lot of money (about as satisfying as paying a dentist), but hopefully I'll emerge from this with a much better understanding about what structure means.

Posting might be a little thin over the next few months, but who knows? This high-stakes structural work is really inspiring, even though I have no idea how to talk about it yet.

Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Blogger timquinn said...

. . . you will become a This Old House devotee . . . hardware store afficianado . . . user of stored brownie points . . . expert in heat exchangers and sink choices . . . newly appreciative of old retired guys . . .

Wish we were there to help, it sounds like high stakes fun.

19 March, 2007 16:18  
Blogger okay dear diary said...

hi deb! it's amanda from champion. you are awesome! i love your work. and i'm not just saying that. check out my blog that i am doing with my friend truen. it's okaydeardiary.blogspot.com. for ladies only!

20 March, 2007 16:35  
Blogger highlowbetween said...

just don't saw the house in half!

21 March, 2007 12:41  
Blogger Carla said...

Congrats on the house. It's so satisfying to own. I may need to pay more attention to structure soon, as I just had an entire colony of termites burst into my living area in their spring search for new territory. Perhaps I should cut a hole in the roof to aid their journey elsewhere? D-I-Y is a beautiful realm, sullied only by possible encounters with the building inspector, or the health department.....

27 March, 2007 23:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home