16 June 2006

Luis Jimenez Taught Me Stuff


Luis Jimenez died installing a sculpture June 13, 2006. He was sometime faculty at my undergrad alma mater, and I looked at this sculpture, Man On Fire, just about every damn day of my twentieth decade. I had a job working with his lithographs...he was important to me when I was in Tucson. He was the first person who ever made the relationship between sculpture and power explicit for me.

Lifting anything heavy is so dangerous. He shouldn't have been standing anywhere near the load. What a terrible, avoidable way to die. What terrible news. His work was important to the region and to the whole world. He empowered the latino community big time and was a huge thinker of even huger thoughts. What a fucking loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home