18 April 2006

Your Daily Dose of Chicken Littlism


Ooh--a new pinnacle of absurdity with a new bleak vista! Please to click: Kristof's Burp of the Apocalypse. A whole column organized around the idea that fear-mongering is an acceptable tactic is weak, weak, weak. There is not one single suggestion for action within this column. Judgement Day is coming, horror-movie style. Once again, the left is using end-times language that is only good for dismissing.

When are we going to get it through our thick skulls? Nobody cares how many scientists are behind this raving lunacy, because scientists have cried wolf in the past and because Americans have much more room for what Nicole Richie has to say than what Klaus Lackner has to say.

Shame on you, Nicholas Kristof! Stop whining and trying to make this work on your terms. Then sharpen your pencil and go find out what people are actually doing about climate change! There is no time for your gutless collapse--we are on deadline here!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dilettante Ventures said...

I'm a little puzzled by your link to my site in this post. Are you offering that my post is an example of this celebrity worship, a critique of it, or something else?

18 April, 2006 13:49  
Blogger fisher6000 said...

It was just the last picture of Richie I remembered seeing. No subtext intended.

18 April, 2006 20:45  
Blogger fisher6000 said...

Just had a thought about this. I see the potential for puzzlement.

I don't think it's a bad thing that pop culture is more interesting than science. Nor do I think it's a good thing. It's just the way it is. The point I was trying to make is more neutral... I want Kristof to see what is in front of him and not bang his fist because the world isn't going his way.

I wasn't trying to indict America for not boning up on CO2 sequestration or holding you up as an example of anything but someone who's got a picture of NR.

18 April, 2006 22:15  
Blogger Dilettante Ventures said...

Whew. I thought my post was a little more complicated than pro/anti Nicole Richie. She is, after all, paired with Qadaffi's daughter. I thought if I had lost you on that (someone I think has pretty sophisticated interpretive skills), the post was a complete mis-fire.

18 April, 2006 23:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home