23 March 2006

Belief Substitutes That Are Not Like Asparatame or Olestra



Image courtesy Streb Laboratory For Action Mechanics (who are *all* my dance boyfriends and girlfriends)

Modernism's great push forward was driven largely by belief. Belief that we could make reality, that (rich white educated straight men) are invincible. No, no. That won't do. Deconstructing other people's beliefs is mostly a fun parlor game (thanks Kat for that image). It creates no power. And obviously taking a great step back toward the crusades is NOT a good idea.

What comes out of my house? What am I going to do today? What can I prove with my own body? A list of things I actually do know:

*I live in a world with other people and objects.
*I am semi-permeable. Things go in and out of me, but I am usually the same basic shape.
*Cause and effect works. Every single thing I do has a consequence.
*I am therefore connected to all these other people and things.
*If I am connected to all these people and things, then everything I want involves negotiation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heart As Arena said...

Ooooh. Nobody rocks it harder than STREB.

24 March, 2006 17:02  
Blogger Heart As Arena said...

Ooooh. Nobody rocks it harder than STREB.

24 March, 2006 17:03  
Blogger fisher6000 said...

Streb makes me cry and giggle and act like a child.

24 March, 2006 20:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home